    SubjectRe: 2.6.31 -mm merge plans
    Amerigo Wang <amwang@redhat.com> writes:

    > Al Viro wrote:
    >> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 09:15:05AM +0800, Amerigo Wang wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, Al.
    >>>
    >>> Just as what I said in the description of that patch, one only has extern
    >>> functions that are _only_ used in another as function pointers.
    >>>

    >> Er... So what? Amount of functions made static is not, per se, a
    >> useful metrics of anything.
    >>
    > Not only about static, but also because they are used via function pointers.
    >
    > Logically, it is better for these functions used via pointers to be kept in
    > the same file with the struct which holds these function pointers.

    I am going to agree with Al here. array.c has a well defined function
    and purpose. base.c is on it's way to becoming a dumping ground. The
    only reason the functions in array.c are used directly in base.c is
    that we don't have a way to dynamically register struct pid_entry's.

    Given the number of ifdefs in base.c it looks like it could really benefit
    from splitting up. I made it about half way there last time I was working
    on proc.

    Eric

      Last update: 2009-06-13 22:57    [W:0.026 / U:91.040 seconds]