SubjectRe: Gerrit (was Re: HTC Dream aka. t-mobile g1 support)
From
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Shawn Pearce<sop@google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 15:22, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
>> On Fri 2009-06-12 14:50:21, Brian Swetland wrote:
>> > Gerrit is a git patch review system that we (Google/Android) use for
>>
>> Unfortunately, it seems quite unsuitable for kernel.
>>
>> Do I understand it right that to submit kernel patches I'd have to
>> agree to "contributors agreement", and give up my copyright? No,
>> sorry, I don't think I want to do that.
>
> No.  The contributor agreement used by review.source.android.com is a stronger version of the Developers Certificate of Origin normally used by kernel
> contributors.
> For the actual agreement text see[1], but the basic principle is the same.
>  No assignment of copyright, only assignment of license for redistribution,
> which is what the GPL asks anyway.  It also contains a patent provision,
> similar to what the Apache License contains, to protect the project leads
> from submarine patent infringement by code contributed by a patent holder.
> [1] https://review.source.android.com/static/cla_individual.html

When we first discussed the CLA, I raised this concern (that the
mainline kernel folks would not be thrilled by another system in
addition to Signed-off-by), and was informed that we should not have
to require CLA acceptance for contributions to the kernel/... trees.
I'm not sure if Gerrit is setup to handle this yet.

We will always happily accept kernel patches via email/mailinglist,
per the standard linux kernel development model.

Brian