    SubjectRe: HTC Dream aka. t-mobile g1 support
    From
    On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Pavel Machek<pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
    > On Wed 2009-06-10 10:43:53, Brian Swetland wrote:
    >>
    >> Our current working tree (for the donut branch) is against 2.6.29:
    >> http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/android-msm-2.6.29
    >
    > Strange, I attempted downloading this overnight (285MB!)

    Hm. I think if you add this as a remote to an existing repository
    containing the kernel (these trees are based on v2.6.27 and v2.6.29
    respectively) it should only pull the deltas (which aren't that
    enormous).

    >> The cupcake/1.5 system update (latest production kernel) was against 2.6.27:
    >> http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/android-msm-2.6.27
    >>
    >> > Is all of it neccessary for dream or are parts such as board-halibut
    >> > parts of some other support? Do I have wrong tree entirely?
    >>
    >> Most of it is necessary.  board-halibut is a qualcomm reference
    >> design.  board-sapphire is HTC Magic.  board-trout is G1/ADP1.
    >> arch/arm/config/msm_defconfig is how we configure the kernel we ship
    >> which supports all three.
    >
    > Ok, could we get the boards renamed? g1 is known as dream, having
    > trout+dream+g1+adp1 names for same piece of hardware is unnice.

    It's hard to have a single name since carriers tend to use different
    names in different markets. We often start work on kernel support
    long before a product is announced, so we've been using the fish names
    to allow us to register board names with the ARM machine registry
    early on and not use bogus internal-only machine IDs.

    > Hmm, perhaps this would be useful to apply?

    I didn't realize we had an android.txt already under Documentation.
    Expanding it with more details sounds good to me.

    halibut - Qualcomm SURF 7201A
    trout - HTC Dream, Android ADP1, T-Mobile G1
    sapphire - HTC Sapphire, HTC Magic

    There may be some other names used by other carriers or in other regions.

    Brian