SubjectRe: [RFC v2] virtio: add virtio-over-PCI driver
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 08:22:54AM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Ira Snyder<iws@ovro.caltech.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey Ira,
> >>
> >> I like this a lot.  I need to do much the same thing on one of my
> >> platforms, so I'm going to use your patch as my starting point.  Have
> >> you made many changes since you posted this version of your patch?
> >> I'd like to collaborate on the development and help to get it
> >> mainlined.
> >>

> > This would be great. I'd really appreciate the help. I haven't had time
> > to make any changes since I last posted the patch. I started work on
> > converting all of the usage of struct vop_loc_* to just use the on-wire
> > structures, but I didn't get very far before other work got in the way.
> >
> >> In my case I've got an MPC5200 as the 'host' and a Xilinx Virtex
> >> (ppc440) as the 'client'.  I intend set aside a region of the Xilinx
> >> Virtex's memory space for the shared queues.  I'm starting work on it
> >> now, and I'll provide you with feedback and/or patches as I make
> >> progress.
> >>

> > I'm looking forward to seeing your implementation. If you have any
> > questions, I'd be happy to attempt to answer them :)
>
> Hey Ira,
>
> I've been slowly hacking on your virtio-over-pci stuff. I've got an
> initial series of cleanup patches which address some of the comments
> from this thread. Before I send them to you, have you made any
> changes on your end? They likely won't apply without changes to the
> core code, so I'd like to sync up with you first.

I haven't made any changes to the code since you've last seen it. I've
been busy with other stuff for quite a while now. I can't wait to see
what you've done :)

At least for the use of the 83xx DMA controller, the DMA_SLAVE mode
patch I posted up about a week ago (to the ppcdev list) could make the
DMA setup much simpler. It hasn't been accepted to mainline yet.

Ira