SubjectRe: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce
Hi!

> >> - Support for multiple swap devices
> >> - Support for non-swap (an ordinary file can be used)
> >> - Uses cryptoapi (LZO support, more than 2x speed of uncompressed data!)
> >> - Asynchronous I/O, readahead, multithreaded. Get the maximum throughput
> >> possible with your hardware.
> >> - Userspace user interface that lets you abort hibernating and abort
> >> resuming, get nice progress display etc.
> >
> > All these are either done by uswsusp already, or could be done w/o
> > modifying kernel code.
>
> Given that tuxonice DOES work reliably with dm-crypt encrypted swap
> partitions, does uswsusp offer this functionality? Looking into the docs
> on the sourceforge site does not give any information about this
> - point.

uswsusp does not care what kind of device it writes on, so yes,
dm-crypt works. IIRC seife was working on some YaST scripts so that
setting it up was easy for users.

> Further, being someone with a crypto background, the userland suspend
> helper does have some issues with the password/key handling:
> 1) no support for keys containing a 0 byte. (cryptsetup can handle
> this)

"passwords containing 0 byte" ? Is that a big deal? How would user
enter such password?

> 2) the rsa functionality seems to use the unsound practice to encrypt
> the symmetric key directly without any padding (aka encoding in libgcrypt).

If this is easy to fix, can you tell me what to do?

Otherwise, can you write a short note to bugtraq? Having bad crypto in
uswsusp would indeed be very very bad.
Pavel

  Last update: 2009-05-07 23:47    [W:0.182 / U:0.204 seconds]