SubjectRe: IO scheduler based IO Controller V2
On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 13:24 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2009 15:58:27 -0400
> Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
> >
> > Here is the V2 of the IO controller patches generated on top of 2.6.30-rc4.
> > Currently primarily two other IO controller proposals are out there.
> >
> > dm-ioband
> > ---------
> > This patch set is from Ryo Tsuruta from valinux.
> > IO-throttling
> > -------------
> > This patch set is from Andrea Righi provides max bandwidth controller.
>
> I'm thinking we need to lock you guys in a room and come back in 15 minutes.
>
> Seriously, how are we to resolve this? We could lock me in a room and
> cmoe back in 15 days, but there's no reason to believe that I'd emerge
> with the best answer.
>
> I tend to think that a cgroup-based controller is the way to go.
> Anything else will need to be wired up to cgroups _anyway_, and that
> might end up messy.

FWIW I subscribe to the io-scheduler faith as opposed to the
device-mapper cult ;-)

Also, I don't think a simple throttle will be very useful, a more mature
solution should cater to more use cases.

  Last update: 2009-05-06 00:25    [W:0.547 / U:0.136 seconds]