SubjectRe: breaking drivers with low probability Re: [merged] pm-suspend-do-not-shrink-memory-before-suspend.patch removed from -mm tree

On Fri 2009-05-29 00:32:07, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Thursday 28 May 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > Or perhaps we can see if it's really necessary.
> >
> > How? We already know this bug is pretty unlikely to be caught by testing.

> > > Linus is supporting this change and it's going to be easy enough to revert if
> > > it's confirmed to cause any problems. Which I seriously doubt.
> >
> > I already found one bug you introduced... by code inspection. (Will
> > you at least fix that?).
>
> No, you didn't. You only pointed out that there may be a problem in certain
> circumstances, but the probablility of these circumstances happening in
> practice is close to zero.

IOW you added bug that is hard to trigger.

> > I'm pretty sure there are more. You tell me
> > that "it can be reverted if it proves problematic".
> >
> > I already proved it problematic by code inspection.
>
> No, you didn't prove anything. Sorry.

Would you explain how much memory is guaranteed to be free for
drivers? We know video/s1d13xxxfb.c needs some memory.

> > Please revert it.
>
> If I know the exact mechanism by which we can exhaust memory before suspend
> so that casual allocations with kmalloc() from drviers' suspend callbacks will fail.
> Possible failure scenario, perhaps?

Just

0) create memory pressure from userland so that free memory goes down
to min_free_kbytes (GFP_KERNEL allocations)

1) hit network driver over fast enough network to eat remaining memory
with GFP_ATOMIC allocations

2) suspend with video/s1d13xxxfb.c loaded and your patch.

> > Testing _can not_ prove problematic. From analysis, we already know
> > suspend with 0 free pages is pretty unlikely.
>
> So what's the point, really?

The point is that you can't assume GFP_ATOMIC allocations
work (suspend allocations run under similar rules, because swapping is
unavailable). And you added that assumption. Bad.

> In fact, the existing code doesn't solve any problem, because we don't know how
> much memory is going to be necessary anyway. So, it doesn't eiliminate the
> issue if there is any, it only makes it a bit more difficult to trigger.

4MB is certainly enough for the video/s1d13xxxfb.c driver, so you
added at least one bug.
Pavel

  Last update: 2009-05-29 00:51    [W:0.047 / U:0.884 seconds]