    SubjectRe: [BUG FIX] Make x86_32 uni-processor Atomic ops, Atomic
    Hi!

    > > @hpa - I still like your suggestion that it is only one (or a few)
    > > uses of atomic ops that is incorrect and in general atomic ops
    > > should compile away on uni-processor.
    > >

    > Actually, the more I think about it the more I suspect there is a race
    > condition either in the chip set or in any VIA-specific drivers (if
    > there are any.) Putting LOCKs in random places will slow the CPU down
    > significantly, so it might resolve the race condition without actually
    > solving the problem.

    Which you can verify; replace lock with something slow (pushad,
    popad)? And see what happens.

    (And if it never ever triggers on hp2133, you have strong clue that it
    may not be cpu-related, but bios-related or chipset related or something).

    Some time ago I was trying to debug misterious hangs on some
    via/fic machines.

    We never figured out what was wrong, but we discovered many other bios
    bugs, and those were not being fixed; so debugging was
    hard/impossible. Unfortunately I no longer have access to that hw.

    hp2133 did _not_ have that problem.

    Try forcing maximum throttling, then move mouse for like five
    seconds. If kbc dies, you have same buggy bios, and probably are
    debugging same problem....
    Pavel

      Last update: 2009-05-28 22:33    [W:0.023 / U:0.568 seconds]