SubjectRe: [Bug #13371] s2disk hangs with kernel 2.6.29 and later, SATA, Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H - culprit found
Date
On Tuesday 26 May 2009, gapeters@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 01:03:00AM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > "Jerry" contacted me off-list with information about the root of the
> > problem - many thanks indeed!!!
> >
> > It turns out that the e100 driver is responsible. (The motherboard actually
> > has a r8169 chip, but I added an old Intel PCI ethernet card I own.)
> >
> > By rmmoding e100 before s2disk, the problem goes away. Jerry mentions that
> > he once saw a message about e100 failing to load its microcode - I never
> > saw such a message.
> >
> > The most recent e100 commit ac7c992 by Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo (Apr
> > 28) made some changes to the behaviour in the case of shutdown vs. suspend,
> > maybe the problem is there? (But note that during bisecting, I tested
> > kernels older than that commit, and not all of them worked.) Before that,
> > f902283 (Mar 3 2008) mentions suspend in the log message.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > --
>
> I think I saw the firmware loader failure during resume. If you leave the
> system alone for ~2 minutes it will resume, but the e100 won't work &
> any thing "touching" it will go into an un-interruptable sleep
> (ifconfig, cat'ing some of its /sys files).
>
> IIRC started with 2.6.29, with the change to net drivers to use the
> firmware loader. During the hibernate, for some reason, the e100 is
> suspended then resumed, at which point it requests its firmware.
> Userspace is frozen so the firmware load times out (the 2 minute timeout
> which is why I guessed you were having the same problem).
>
> During resume, the e100 is apparently resumed *before* userspace is
> un-frozen, so again it times out loading its firmware. At this point
> it's unusable.

This theory makes sense.

Generally firmware loading is not going to work from the driver's ->suspend()
and ->resume() callbacks. For this reason the firmware should be loaded
into RAM before suspend, for example from a PM notifier.

Thanks,
Rafael

  Last update: 2009-05-27 00:11    [W:0.105 / U:0.020 seconds]