SubjectRe: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce
Hi.

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 13:07 +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 26. Mai 2009 11:19:40 schrieb Pavel Machek:
>
> Hello,
>
> > For small allocations... I still believe we should free a bit of
> > memory for s2ram so that small allocations can be done without
> > problems.
> > Pavel
>
> it is essential that this work. Some subsystems, ie. USB, need to allocate
> memory to do IO. For them to work, small allocations must be possible.
>
> Now, is this a real issue? Can most devices really save a device state?
> This capability seems to me to be limited to memory mapped IO at best.
> USB devices generally don't save and restore state but bring the device
> into the state it ought to be in, not the state it was in during resumption.

USB devices ought to be able to do _something_ though - I have a Dvico
Dual Digital 4 card that is forcing me to shutdown X, mythtv-backend,
pulse audio and lirc at the moment so that I can rmmod it while
hibernating. That ought not be necessary. I'm sure there are good
technical reasons why it is necessary at the mooment, but it shouldn't
be that way - even if it just does the bare minimum required to avoid
requiring the closing of files and the unload.

Regards,

Nigel

  Last update: 2009-05-26 23:35    [W:0.280 / U:0.260 seconds]