    SubjectIntroducing SELinux sandbox, confining untrusted binaries
    Dan and I (mostly Dan) have started to play with using SELinux to
    confine random untrusted binaries. The program is called 'sandbox.'

    http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/28545.html

    The idea is to allow administrators to lock down tightly untrusted
    applications in a sandbox where they can not use the network and
    open/create any file that is not handed to the process. Can be used to
    protect a system while allowing it to run some untrusted binary.

    A quick dirty example of this sandbox would be to confine the 'cut'
    binary. If I wanted to create a file of users on my system from
    the /etc/passwd file, I could try

    > sandbox cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd > /tmp/users
    /bin/cut: /etc/passwd: Permission denied

    Which shows the sandbox domain is not allowed to open /etc/passwd

    But I can execute
    > cat /etc/passwd | sandbox cut -d: -f1 > /tmp/users

    And it works just fine.

    Inside the sandbox cut wasn't allowed to get to /etc/passwd. But in the
    second example since /etc/passwd was opened by the shell and handed to
    cut inside the sandbox it works.

    I'd love to hear feedback, suggestions, problems, enhancements,
    thoughts, complaints, things of that nature!

    Check it out, SELinux confinement made easy.

    -Eric

      Last update: 2009-05-26 18:57    [W:0.019 / U:0.928 seconds]