SubjectRe: [RFC] kernel/lockdep: use BFS(breadth-first search) algorithm to search target
On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 21:54 +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> Hi,All
>
> Currently lockdep uses recursion DFS(depth-first search) algorithm to
> search target in checking lock circle(check_noncircular()),irq-safe
> -> irq-unsafe(check_irq_usage()) and irq inversion when adding a new
> lock dependency. I plan to replace the current DFS with BFS, based on
> the following consideration:
>
> 1,no loss of efficiency, no matter DFS or BFS, the running time
> are O(V+E) (V is vertex count, and E is edge count of one
> graph);
>
> 2,BFS may be easily implemented by circular queue and consumes
> much less kernel stack space than DFS for DFS is implemented by
> recursion, we know kernel stack is very limited, eg. 4KB.
>
> 3, The shortest path can be obtained by BFS if the target is
> found, but can't be got by DFS. By the shortest path, we can
> shorten the lock dependency chain and help to troubleshoot lock
> problem easier than before.
>
> Any suggestions, objections or viewpoint?

Ah, replace the full cycle detection might be worth it, esp with that
pre-allocated stack you used. Its all serialized on the graph lock
anyway.

I'm not sure about 3, though, since we search on adding a each new
dependency we'll only ever have a choice between cycles when one new
dependency generates two cycles at the same time. Something I think is
rare.

But yes, it wuold be nice to get rid of the current recursive algorithm
there.

  Last update: 2009-05-26 16:01    [W:0.037 / U:0.364 seconds]