    SubjectRe: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce
    On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:
    > Am Montag, 25. Mai 2009 23:43:23 schrieb Rafael J. Wysocki:
    > > > Oh, before I forget to mention and you ask - how to know what allowance
    > > > for the drivers? I use a sysfs entry - the user then just needs to see
    > > > what's needed on their first attempt, set up a means of putting that
    > > > value in the sysfs file in future (eg /etc/hibernate/tuxonice.conf) and
    > > > then forget about it.
    > >
    > > OK, this is reasonable.
    > No, I am afraid it is not. The average user has no clue. Even if that
    > is not the problem, the user never knows for sure he has encountered
    > the worst case.

    OK there, but surely it's better to have a sysfs attribute than a fixed value?

    > If you really have drivers that have exceptionally large memory requirements
    > (eg. you need to copy video ram), you should tell the system through struct
    > driver and do accounting at probe and removal of devices.

    Or perhaps the drivers should allocate memory from a PM notifier (which is
    called before the freezing of tasks) to avoid the problem?

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-05-26 01:01    [W:0.023 / U:52.764 seconds]