SubjectRe: 2.a.30-rc7: fat filesystem misdetected as amiga
On Mon, 25 May 2009, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > So apparently this is a bug in the device; it doesn't respond correctly
> > to the first READ command. But since it does respond correctly to
> > later commands, everything works okay thereafter. You ought to be able
> > to recover from the error by running
> >
> > blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sdb
> >
> > manually.
>
> Yes, this helps.
> Would it make sense for kernel to retry automatically?
> Why doesn't it?

I don't know the details in this case. Most likely the error code
(Logical Block Address Out of Range) is interpreted as a fatal
non-retryable error. For other sorts of errors, the kernel does retry.

> > As far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with any user programs in
> > the distribution. It appears to be entirely the device's fault.
> >
> > Alan Stern
>
> BTW, any idea how come I later get errors apparently from amiga fs?

Not a clue. Unless it was some odd side effect of the partition code
trying to interpret an uninitialized buffer.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2009-05-25 23:11    [W:1.208 / U:0.008 seconds]