    SubjectRe: What Distro is best for Starting Kernel Dev?
    Date
    On Mon May 25 2009, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 May 2009 11:44:11 -0400
    > Rik van Riel <riel@redhat.com> wrote:
    >
    > > John Walsh wrote:
    > > > What Distro is best for Starting Kernel Dev?
    > >
    > > If you want to learn more about the system than
    > > anybody should ever need to know, you can stick
    > > with a bleeding-edge development distro like
    > > Fedora Rawhide, Mandriva Cooker or Debian Unstable.
    >
    > I do the bulk of my work on such distributions, but if you're really
    > wanting to get started with *kernel* development, there is one thing to
    > be aware of: development distributions can be an independent source of
    > instability/weirdness in a system. If you're at an early stage with the
    > kernel, you may want to minimize the number of variables which can be
    > changing at once. So it might make more sense to base your work on a
    > distribution which is not changing underneath you.

    One of the major "outside" variables is the tool-chain you use - -
    For that reason, I suggest you use one of the "Build From Source"
    distributions. At least you know your tool chain is working. ;)

    Personally, I use both 32-bit and 64-bit Gentoo.
    Also, I avoid doing any updates that would change the tool chain
    while in the midst of trouble shooting something.
    Just keep your hands off of the --update button. ;)

    Currently (both flavors, 32/64):
    gen2-32# gcc-config -l
    [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2 *
    [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.2

    The 4.1.2 tool chain is "good" across the board for all Gentoo archs.
    The 4.3.2 tool chain is not marked as "good" for hp-parisc.

    Mike