    SubjectRe: [BUG FIX] Make x86_32 uni-processor Atomic ops, Atomic
    Date
    On Sun May 24 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Michael S. Zick wrote:
    > >
    > > @hpa - I still like your suggestion that it is only one (or a few)
    > > uses of atomic ops that is incorrect and in general atomic ops
    > > should compile away on uni-processor.
    > >

    > Actually, the more I think about it the more I suspect there is a race
    > condition either in the chip set or in any VIA-specific drivers (if
    > there are any.) Putting LOCKs in random places will slow the CPU down
    > significantly, so it might resolve the race condition without actually
    > solving the problem.

    They are mostly out of the -09143 and -09144 builds -
    No cpufreq (I.E: no e_powersaver).
    The padlock-* drivers are modules which must be manually loaded.

    The i2c-viapro driver (in spite of its comments) does not work
    on CX700 (written before manual was released) - it is reading
    the serial number rather than the second data port. ;)
    (No access to the chipset temperature/voltage data on SMBus).

    The via-fb driver just "doesn't work" - Haven't looked at it yet.

    There is a VIA-specific driver for the VIA USB controller, but it
    isn't in the x86 part of the tree - Haven't looked at it yet.

    There isn't a driver for the hardware watchdog on CX700 -
    There isn't a driver for the machine error reporting -

    = = = =

    Although there may be timing requirement differences on the
    CX700 and CN896 - I think more likely a human error (typo)
    in the "clobber" lines of the asm - Have not yet audited that,
    but it is high on my list.

    Note: I have seem to recall that newer gcc's optimizer presume
    that the flags register is preserved across asm -
    It didn't use to do that - but there is now a "cc" to deal with
    that - Have not yet audited for that, but it is high on my list.

    Busy, busy, busy - -
    The -09144lk on C7-M/CX700 now up for 3 3/4 hours close to a new
    record - but ehci-hcd has not yet gone into a re-try loop.

    Mike
    > -hpa

      Last update: 2009-05-24 20:35    [W:2.315 / U:0.336 seconds]