SubjectRe: How to tell whether a struct file is held by a process?
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 21:31, Alan Stern <> wrote:
> Come to think of it, putting the lock files in sysfs isn't such a good
> idea.  The core will need to know whether the files are open, so we'll
> have to have our own file_operations structure for them.
> Which means the best place to put the lock files is probably somewhere
> in /dev.  Can this be made to work by generating appropriate uevents,
> with the default udev rules?

Nodes in /dev would need a corresponding device in /sys and belong to
a subsystem to send an event. That sounds like a lot of stuff for a
simple interface like this. Can't we just add ioctls to the hub device
nodes to implement the locking?