    SubjectRe: How to tell whether a struct file is held by a process?
    On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 21:31, Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
    > Come to think of it, putting the lock files in sysfs isn't such a good
    > idea.  The core will need to know whether the files are open, so we'll
    > have to have our own file_operations structure for them.
    >
    > Which means the best place to put the lock files is probably somewhere
    > in /dev.  Can this be made to work by generating appropriate uevents,
    > with the default udev rules?

    Nodes in /dev would need a corresponding device in /sys and belong to
    a subsystem to send an event. That sounds like a lot of stuff for a
    simple interface like this. Can't we just add ioctls to the hub device
    nodes to implement the locking?

    Thanks,
    Kay