    SubjectRe: swiotlb: remove __weak hooks in favour of architecture-specific functions
    On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 07:13 -0400, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 May 2009 17:15:21 +0100
    > Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@citrix.com> wrote:
    > Please go with the following way (that I posted yesterday):
    >
    > http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=124292666214380&w=2
    >

    > Export the core feature of swiotlb, managing iotlb buffer and
    > implement the Xen mapping functions.

    I feel that should be a last resort, before we go down that path we
    should try and find a way for us to use the generic code in a clean way
    which makes everyone happy.

    We have had several attempts at this and admittedly have not yet come up
    with something that satisfies everyone but I don't really think we have
    gotten to the point of admitting defeat and just duplicating the code.

    I think the proposal to use a dma_map_range-like function which I sent a
    few minutes ago I think gets us closer to something which satisfies
    everyone's requirements, including yours for a clean abstraction.

    > With that approach, there is not
    > much code duplication and there is no need for ugly hooks for dom0;
    > the phys/bus address conversion and address checking.

    The phys/bus address conversion is also needed for powerpc.

    I think the two address checking functions can be collapsed into a
    single one which satisfies the needs of both Xen and powerpc.

    What dom0 specific "ugly" hooks does that leave? The alloc one? I've
    discussed that in another mail.

    Ian.

      Last update: 2009-05-22 13:47    [W:0.029 / U:31.588 seconds]