SubjectRe: Specific support for Intel Atom architecture
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 09:19:38AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:
> > How would you test that?
>
> Compare runtimes with mov+bswap for some simple code which uses the
> value after the conversion (e.g., just add to something).
>
> Or in your case: get the Atom designers to comment.

Don't really need Atom designers; you can prove or disprove my theory
(that they generate the same uops sequence) by checking the uops performance
counter for a micro benchmark.

However even if that was not the case I have some doubts the
kernel is doing enough endian conversions that it really matters.

For example the network stack is doing maybe 4-5 endian conversions
(very conservative estimate) per packet and processing a packet
takes tens of thousands of cycles. But at best you could save 1-2 cycles
this way, so even if you save a few cycles this way it will be very likely
in the noise.

-Andi

  Last update: 2009-05-14 19:27    [W:0.275 / U:0.096 seconds]