SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] xen /proc/mtrr implementation
Ingo Molnar wrote:
> i never got a reply to my question for your previous submission:
>
> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0905.1/00152.html

That was in response to the mtrr patch in the dom0/core series.

> Please dont post patches with ugly TODO items in them.
I removed them in the repost.
> Also, a more general objection is that /proc/mtrr is a legacy
> interface, we dont really want to extend its use.
It's not an extended use; its just making the existing interface work
under Xen (ie, not breaking the userspace ABI). The only other
alternatives would be to 1) use Kconfig to prevent MTRR and Xen from
being set at the same time, or 2) put a runtime hack in to disable MTRR
when running under Xen. Neither seems like a good idea when we can just
keep the interface working.
> The Xen hypervisor
> should get proper PAT support instead ...

Well, it has PAT support, but there's an issue that the Xen PAT setup
isn't quite the same as Linux's (but I thought you were cc:d on the
discussion about that). We need to sort out some details about the
precise mechanism, but it looks like we'll be able to support PAT in
Linux guests relatively easily (but not immediately).