SubjectRe: No NCQ support on X61s Ultrabay? (Intel ICH8 SATA controller question)
On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 09:14:59AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

> Oh.... and I suspect I know why they did it; I'm guessing they wanted
> to support PATA Ultrabay devices for backwards compatibility on the
> X60, and perhaps they were running out of connector pins on the
> docking station (the Ultrabay slot is on the X61's "media slice"), and
> they didn't have enough wires to run both PATA and SATA interfaces to
> the docking station, *and* they wanted to use the same docking station
> for the X60 and X61 Thinkpads.

SATA ultrabays have a standard SATA connector, which is in the same
physical location as the PATA connector on the older bays - it's not
possible for a single bay to support both PATA and SATA devices. Bear in
mind that the usual use for one of these bays is for optical drives, and
SATA slimline drives have only started appearing recently.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

  Last update: 2009-05-01 16:01    [W:0.139 / U:0.152 seconds]