SubjectRe: 2.6.30-rc1: invalid opcode with call trace
On Wed, Apr 08 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com> wrote:

> > > Config attached.
> > >
> > > known bad : v2.6.29-9854-gd508afb
> > > known good : v2.6.29
> > >
> > > Suspected commit introducing the regression:
> > >
> > > 9710794: async: remove the temporary (2.6.29) "async is off by default" code
> > >
> > > (i'll now try a revert of this.)
> >
> > That's what I figured was the culprit as well, but that does not
> > really tell us anything about what part of async.c is buggy :-)
>
> async.c itself is likely not to be buggy - fundamental bugs that
> deep in the center of the kernel usually cannot hide for long :-)

While it may not be in async.c, the code a) really isn't that old, and
b) hasn't really been used yet. So I'd definitely not rule out a bug in
the async implementation itself.

> What matters more is the _effects_ of having async bootup now, on
> various subsystems it interacts with. Unexpected parallelism and
> reordering between init sequences.
>
> It would have been far better to not have such a 'flip the switch
> on' moment - but instead a more gradual step by step introduction of
> async bootup, with accompanied strong testing.

Definitely, switching on single sub systems/drivers one at the time
would be a much saner approach.

--
Jens Axboe

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans