    SubjectRe: 2.6.30-rc1: invalid opcode with call trace
    On Wed, Apr 08 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > * Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com> wrote:

    > > > Config attached.
    > > >
    > > > known bad : v2.6.29-9854-gd508afb
    > > > known good : v2.6.29
    > > >
    > > > Suspected commit introducing the regression:
    > > >
    > > > 9710794: async: remove the temporary (2.6.29) "async is off by default" code
    > > >
    > > > (i'll now try a revert of this.)
    > >
    > > That's what I figured was the culprit as well, but that does not
    > > really tell us anything about what part of async.c is buggy :-)
    >
    > async.c itself is likely not to be buggy - fundamental bugs that
    > deep in the center of the kernel usually cannot hide for long :-)

    While it may not be in async.c, the code a) really isn't that old, and
    b) hasn't really been used yet. So I'd definitely not rule out a bug in
    the async implementation itself.

    > What matters more is the _effects_ of having async bootup now, on
    > various subsystems it interacts with. Unexpected parallelism and
    > reordering between init sequences.
    >
    > It would have been far better to not have such a 'flip the switch
    > on' moment - but instead a more gradual step by step introduction of
    > async bootup, with accompanied strong testing.

    Definitely, switching on single sub systems/drivers one at the time
    would be a much saner approach.

    --
    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2009-04-08 09:17    [W:0.021 / U:30.412 seconds]