    SubjectRe: [patch] slub: default min_partial to at least highest cpus per node
    On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Pekka Enberg wrote:

    > > I'd be just as happy with the following, although it would require changing
    > > MIN_PARTIAL to be greater than its default of 5 if a node supports more cpus
    > > for optimal performance (the old patch did that automatically up to
    > > MAX_PARTIAL).
    >
    > Hmm but why not move ->min_partial to struct kmem_cache_node as I suggested
    > and make sure it's adjusted properly as with nr_cpus_node()?

    Sure, that's also possible except we'd lose the ability to tune
    min_partial with /sys/kernel/slab/cache/min_partial, unless it would then
    change n->min_partial for each N_NORMAL_MEMORY node. We lack an interface
    to change the per-node min_partial.

    If you think that's acceptable, I'd be just as satisfied with that
    approach as long as all archs have valid cpu_to_node() mappings at the
    time of CPU_UP_PREPARE.

    Aside: we're lacking in the documentation of these sysfs tunables such as
    remote_node_defrag_ratio to begin with, the only way to figure out what it
    does is by reading the code or making assumptions based on its name. I'd
    be happy to add some documentation but it'd be good to keep it separate
    from Documentation/vm/slub.txt.

      Last update: 2009-04-07 22:13    [W:0.020 / U:60.412 seconds]