Subjectattempt to scan fails (device busy) if essid/ssid was changed recently
Recently I was trying to reduce time it takes for wireless card to
connect.

I noticed that always first attempt at scan fails when NM asks for scan.
I also noticed that this happens with quite recent kernels (I think
2,6.28) didn't have this behavior.

Looking a bit deeper I discovered that each time NM disconnects from a
networks it sets random ssid/essid to the card (using wireless
extensions)

After that scan fails for some time.

as a NM free example you can run

iwconfig wlan0 essid dummy
iwlist scan

and this will fail

NM in this case waits for whole 10 seconds.

What do you think about this?

I confirm that on iwl3945 and ath5k, so this isn't driver specific.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans