    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Ext3 latency fixes

    On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > > Also, I may be odd, but I really do think latency is more important than
    > > throughput. When my disk has latencies in the sub-milliseconds, I simply
    > > do not think it is _acceptable_ to have hickups that affect my workload in
    > > human-visible terms.
    > Not everyone has an Intel SSD.

    The thing is, I know for a fact that the hickups were much worse _before_
    I had the Intel SSD.

    With the SSD, I have to work a lot more to get them. Back when I had
    regular rotational disks, I definitely did not need to do any 2GB file
    creation at all. Just standard "yum update" would make my mail reader

    Yeah, it's just for a short time, but it's very annoying. One second is
    quite noticeable when I type something, and it doesn't show up on the
    screen ("What? My Nehalem cannot keep up with my _typing_?"). 2-3 seconds
    it really feels bad. And by the time it takes 5+ seconds, I start moving
    my mouse around just to see whether the computer crashed.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-04-04 20:15    [W:0.029 / U:41.988 seconds]