SubjectRe: kms in defconfig

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> > So yes, it would be good to automate it:
> >
> > > If a tool was available to detect the hardware and create a
> > > config tailored for the box, this use for a default config would
> > > go away
> >
> > Yeah, I've wished for that.
>
> Steve (Cc:-ed) submitted such a script last year IIRC. It wasnt
> particularly complex.

I've submitted the script a few times to LKML but it is not exactly what
people want, but is quite useful in the mean time.

What people want is a script that will analyze their system devices and
enable all the configs that will support them.

My script requires that you have booted the kernel (or similar kernel with
the same config options and modules). It then runs lsmod, and searches for
the options that enable those modules. It then reads the current .config
file and prints out a new config that disables all module configs that are
not used to enable the modules found with lsmod.

Here's the code (perl script):

http://rostedt.homelinux.com/code/streamline_config.pl

The instructions on how to use it are at the top of the file.

This script has brought down my full kernel compile times with distcc from
50 minutes to under 10.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2009-04-28 19:39    [W:0.082 / U:0.040 seconds]