    SubjectRe: usbutils 0.81 release
    On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 23:21, Alan Stern <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Greg KH wrote:

    >> > Why delete the spec file?  Don't you want to keep it for people who
    >> > would like to build an RPM?
    >> Do people build rpms out of tarballs that aren't coming from their
    >> distro anymore?
    > Sure they do.  If you've got an RPM-based system, and you want to
    > install a package version that's more recent than the one bundled in
    > your distribution (or if your distribution doesn't include the package
    > at all), then you'd want to build your own RPM.
    >>  I didn't realise this, and can put it back, but it's
    >> one more thing to forget to bump the version number on :(
    > It's not urgent.  You're going to be making other changes too...  new
    > output formats and replacing libusb, right?  So include the spec file
    > again when you do the next release.

    Having a spec file in the repo needs pre-processing to
    create a proper spec file to use, to find out where to install the
    files. As an example, SUSE puts the ids file in /usr/share/ Fedora in
    /usr/share/hwdata/ (not even shipped with the usbutil package), other
    distros put it in /usr/share/misc/.

    Having multiple files installed, because we didn't find the right
    place, may break other packages build which search for them at build
    time, like udev-extras.

    There is really not a good chance to get this stuff right, without
    using the spec file that comes with the original package from the
    distro that is used.

      Last update: 2009-04-27 23:41    [W:0.042 / U:78.952 seconds]