    SubjectRe: usbutils 0.81 release
    On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Greg KH wrote:

    > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:48:00PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
    > > On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Greg KH wrote:
    > >
    > > > Kay Sievers (11):
    > > > rename ->
    > > > delete spec file
    > >
    > > Why delete the spec file? Don't you want to keep it for people who
    > > would like to build an RPM?
    > Do people build rpms out of tarballs that aren't coming from their
    > distro anymore?

    Sure they do. If you've got an RPM-based system, and you want to
    install a package version that's more recent than the one bundled in
    your distribution (or if your distribution doesn't include the package
    at all), then you'd want to build your own RPM.

    > I didn't realise this, and can put it back, but it's
    > one more thing to forget to bump the version number on :(

    It's not urgent. You're going to be making other changes too... new
    output formats and replacing libusb, right? So include the spec file
    again when you do the next release.

    (BTW, the spec file probably wants a little updating anyhow to match
    the changes you and Kay have been doing. Not to mention that older
    versions of RPM used a different specification for the kind of
    licensing -- IIRC, the old RPM used a "copyright" tag whereas the
    current RPM uses a "license" tag.)

    Alan Stern

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-04-27 23:25    [W:0.019 / U:26.920 seconds]