    SubjectRe: arch/ && tracehook_report_syscall_xxx()
    On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:29:19AM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
    > > We have a lot of code like arch/alpha/kernel/ptrace.c:syscall_trace()
    > > in arch/ and I can't see how to convert them to use tracehooks.
    > >
    > > The first problem, we don't know which hook should be called, there is
    > > no entry/exit argument.
    > These arch maintainers just need to update their code. Christoph has
    > started poking arch folks individually about getting up to speed.
    > IMHO, it is better anyway to use separate entry/exit calls. For that
    > change, it is often easy to see how to do it correctly in the assembly code
    > without really knowing the arch at all. (There are separate assembly paths
    > leading to the calls for entry vs exit cases already, just change the
    > symbol names. Adding an argument would require a bit of a clue about
    > assembly on the arch.)

    I've poked a few arch maintainers in the past to separate the enter/exit
    path and usually got the desired changes :)

    > > Still, I think it is better to change this code right now, and call
    > > ptrace_report_syscall() directly.
    > I disagree. Let the arch code get with the modern style.
    > It is just a minute's hack for the arch maintainer.

    Yeah, let's get the architectures up to modern standards first, that
    should make life a lot simpler.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-04-27 20:35    [W:0.026 / U:104.780 seconds]