SubjectRe: Class device namespaces
On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 07:44:43AM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 08:54:01AM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Hi Kay,
> >
> > Sorry, completely overlooked your reply... Ah, now I remember, I was
> > waiting for Michael to show up and comment on this. Michael, ping? As
> > long as we don't know the exact requirements and constraints of the
> > dell firmware tool, we're somewhat stuck.
> >
> > Matt, maybe you can help? Could you please point us to the source code
> > of the dell firmware tool which relies on the dell_rbu driver?
>

> There's a git tree at:
> http://linux.dell.com/git/?p=libsmbios.git
>
> which you can get via rsync at:
> rsync -va rsync://linux.dell.com/git/libsmbios.git/
>
> the application is dellBiosUpdate, and the source is at this point in
> the tree:
>
> http://linux.dell.com/git/?p=libsmbios.git;a=blob;f=src/bin/dellBiosUpdate.cpp;h=b32e157b7ceb0be0d53eed4a4d171d24fe6456a7;hb=HEAD

I'll note there is a second implementation that uses dell_rbu, and
that is included in each and every "Dell Update Package" (aka DUP)
BIOS update posted on support.dell.com for every Dell PowerEdge server
for the past several years. Because the updater and they BIOS payload
are packaged in the same package, a change which would require
changing that updater will result in requiring Dell to spin and
re-release hundreds of DUPs, which would not go over well... Thank
you for being careful not to change the interface capriciously - it
could have a huge impact on us.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

  Last update: 2009-04-26 15:05    [W:0.095 / U:0.440 seconds]