SubjectRe: [dm-devel] Re: dm-ioband: Test results.
From
Hi,

From: Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com>
Subject: [dm-devel] Re: dm-ioband: Test results.
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:16:07 -0400

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:57:23AM -0400, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 21 2009 at 8:10am -0400,
> > Ryo Tsuruta <ryov@valinux.co.jp> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Nauman,

> > > In addition, dm-ioband can run on the RHEL5.
> >
> > RHEL5 compatibility does not matter relative to merging an I/O bandwidth
> > controller upstream. So both the "can [be] use without cgroup" and "can
> > run on RHEL5" features do not help your cause of getting dm-ioband
> > merged upstream. In fact these features serve as distractions.
>
> Exactly. I don't think that "it can be used without cgroup" is a feature
> or advantage. To me it is a disadvantage and should be fixed. cgroup is
> standard mechanism to group tasks arbitrarily and we should use that to make
> things working instead of coming up with own ways of grouping things and
> terming it as advantage.
>
> What do you mean by "The driver module can be replaced without stopping
> the system"? I guess you mean that one does not have to reboot the system
> to remove ioband device? So if one decides to not use the cgroup, then
> one shall have to remove the ioband devices, remount the filesystems and
> restart the application?

Device-mapper has a feature that can replace an intermediate module
without unmount the device like the following.

| /mnt | | /mnt |
| /dev/mapper/ioband1 | | /dev/mapper/ioband1 |
| dm-ioband | <==> | dm-linear |
| /dev/sda1 | | /dev/sda1 |

So we can safely unload the dm-ioband module and update it.