SubjectRe: EXT4-ish "fixes" in UBIFS
From
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Trenton D. Adams
<trenton.d.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Christian Kujau <lists@nerdbynature.de> wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
>>> They just say - this is file-system bug, it is fixed in
>>> ext4 now, just fix the bug in UBIFS.
>>
>> Would *mounting* the filesystem with "-o sync" help? This way no
>> filesystem "fixes" are needed and userland would not have to be rewritten.
>>
>> Christian.
>
> Yes, mounting "-o sync" does improve ext3 performance.  It sucks
> though, because I do want quick writes.  And mounting with sync option
> slows down to disk io speeds.  In my case, that's between 20 and 23
> megabytes per second *big frown, quivering lip, and tears in my eyes*.
> :P

Oh, I should have clarified. It improves performance under heavy
load. Under normal load, mounting without sync is fine. What I tend
to do is mount with "remount,rw,sync" when heavy load is starting.
Then my system goes slowly, but latency is good. Then, when it's all
done (say a big compile, or job, or whatever), I remount without sync
again.

I'm thinking of writing a script that monitors performance, and
remounts as needed, lol. WHAT A HACK. hehe.