    SubjectRe: 900af0d breaks some embedded suspend/resume
    On Saturday 18 April 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Russell King wrote:
    > >
    > > What I need to be able to do is to suspend most devices on the host side
    > > which may involve talking to a separate microcontroller via I2C to shut
    > > down power to peripherals.
    > I suspect that for cases like this, the simplest thing to do is to just
    > add a marker for "don't mess with my power management, I'm doing
    > everything through sysdev" for the specified devices.

    In this particular case, if sysdev was used, there would be no problem, but the
    platform uses a platform device to suspend-resume the i2c controller.
    In principle we could convert it to use a sysdev, but that would be more
    difficult than the last patch I sent IMO (at least to me).

    Also, apparently it is not the only platform doing it.

    > Then those i2c controllers (and perhaps some PCI bridges etc) can just set
    > that bit, and the device would basically turn invisible as far as the PM
    > layer is concerned.
    > Not that different from the IRQF_TIMER bit for timer interrupts.

    I generally agree and a patch to implemet such a flag has been submitted

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-04-19 00:47    [W:0.542 / U:3.588 seconds]