SubjectRe: Scheduler regression: Too frequent timer interrupts(?)
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > often must occur in parallel on multiple cores. Processing is delayed if
> > any of the cores encounters a delay due to OS noise.
>
> So you have hard deadlines in the order of us? Are these SCHED_FIFO
> tasks or SCHED_OTHER?

SCHED_FIFO has the effect of removing all the involuntary context switches
but it does not effect the other interrutions.

> Your Xeon is a core2 class machine and should have relatively stable
> TSC, however its also a dual socket, which I think defeats the
> stable-ness.

> What clocksource do you have?
>
> cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource

cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
tsc

> Also, looking over the rest of the scheduler tick code, I can't really
> see what would be so expensive.

The expensiveness may be fine if we can limit the number of occurences.
Maybe the histograms for those releases give more insight.

  Last update: 2009-04-17 22:45    [W:0.071 / U:0.028 seconds]