SubjectRe: Fix quilt merge error in acpi-cpufreq.c

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >>
> >> At least then it wouldn't break up the narrative, and it would
> >> kind of fit with all the other "tagged" lines.
> >
> > Yeah, that makes sense.
>
> Actually, there is one good thing about this. One of the things
> we've found useful is to have the maintainer add or edit Impact:
> lines. Putting them with the tags would make it more clear who did
> the impact assessment.

Ah, indeed - good point. There two other good things about moving
the impact line to the signoff section:

- We can actually add it every time - even if it repeats bits of
the subject line which would look weird if it was in the second
line. Right now with the impact line in a prominent place i often
feel reluctant to add an impact line when the subject line is
good enough to describe the expected risk/impact of a change.

- I can update my scripts to warn when i sign off on something with
no impact line. I.e. the "dont forget to assess impact" step
becomes even harder to flunk.

/me likes.

We then also need a good Documentation/impact-tag.txt description
about it, and list the principles and a few good and bad examples.
Would you like to write it up?

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-04-16 09:17    [W:0.080 / U:0.872 seconds]