SubjectRe: linux-2.6.30rc1 mouse stuck with usb autosuspend enabled
From
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@suse.cz> wrote:

> [ added Oliver to CC ]
>
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Corrado Zoccolo wrote:
>
>> I found this regression w.r.t. 2.6.29.
>> When enabling usb automatic power management for all usb peripherals, with:
>> > for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/level; do echo auto > $i; done
>
> Well, it's difficult to consider this to be a regression. With default
> settings (USB autosuspend turned off), the system behaves the same way as
> it did before (ie. no mouse autosuspend).
>
>> after 2 seconds of inactivity (my autosuspend threshold), the mouse
>> gets stuck under X.
>
> That's because it got suspended, as you have configured it to do so.
>
>> Pushing a mouse button will revive it (and the event is passed to X).
>
> Which is expected behavior.
>
> Your mouse (as many other mice out there) doesn't emit wakeup event on
> movement, it only does on button click. There is nothing kernel can do
> about it. This is one of the reasons why autosuspend is disabled by
> default (other reason being many devices broken beyond hope when it comes
> to waking up).

Well, to me it seems a regression since it worked correctly in 2.6.29, i.e.
* it was suspended after inactivity (at least according to powertop),
* it resumed operation when it was moved (no need to push a button to
have it working again).
unless 2.6.29 just lied about suspending the mouse.

BTW, I find autosuspend useful to increase the battery life, so at
least with good devices, we should make sure it works.

Corrado

> --
> Jiri Kosina
> SUSE Labs

dott. Corrado Zoccolo mailto:czoccolo@gmail.com
PhD - Department of Computer Science - University of Pisa, Italy

  Last update: 2009-04-16 14:47    [W:0.061 / U:0.344 seconds]