SubjectRe: Fix quilt merge error in acpi-cpufreq.c

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >
> > "cleanup" is indeed the most common, as it is intended to signify a
> > trivial but nonzero code change. Whether or not it's *correct* is
> > another matter. "build fix" is valid and proper use: it tells that it
> > fixes a compilation error, which succinctly communicates both the
> > priority of the fix and how it needs to be validated.
>
> Why would that be "proper use"?
>
> Dammit, if the "build fix" is not obvious from the rest of the
> commit message, there's something wrong.
>
> And if it _is_ obvious, then the mechanical "Impact:" thing is
> pointless.
>
> In other words - in neither case does it actually help anything at
> all. It's only distracting noise.

I often skip "Impact: build fix" - when it's obvious from the
subject line or the first sentence of the commit - or if it can be
made obvious by changing the subject line or by changing the first
sentence of the commit.

I add it occasionally, when some other, higher priority principle
makes the changing of the subject line undesired.

For example, yesterday i did this commit:

| commit 27b19565fe4ca5b0e9d2ae98ce4b81ca728bf445
| Author: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
| Date: Tue Apr 14 11:03:12 2009 +0200
|
| lockdep: warn about lockdep disabling after kernel taint, fix
|
| Impact: build fix for Sparc and s390
|
| Stephen Rothwell reported that the Sparc build broke:

I added that 'build fix' impact line for two reasons:

Firstly, because the subject line was inherited from the buggy
commit and the new subject line got a ", fix" postfix. (This
convention seems rather useful at times in shortlogs, see below.)

Secondly, i also added the impact line because i wanted to specify
the architectures affected: Sparc and s390 - this fact was not
obvious from the bug report context which i wanted to preserve to
credit the bug reporter prominently (Stephen found the build error
on Sparc only).

Another option would have been to use this primary subject line
instead:

fix build error on Sparc and s390

But IMHO that's a worse subject line. It's more important to keep
the flow of the original change intact. The subject lines cluster up
better in shortlogs or in git logs:

$ gll include/linux/debug_locks.h
27b1956: lockdep: warn about lockdep disabling after kernel taint, fix
9eeba61: lockdep: warn about lockdep disabling after kernel taint

The connection between the two commits is plain obvious, at a
glance.

I could have concatenated the first subject line with the impact
information:

27b1956: lockdep: warn about lockdep disabling after kernel taint, fix build error on Sparc and s390

... but this is clearly over-long and dillutes the subject line with
'effect' information.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-04-15 22:13    [W:0.188 / U:0.452 seconds]