SubjectRe: [RFC v2] virtio: add virtio-over-PCI driver
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM, David Hawkins <dwh@ovro.caltech.edu> wrote:
> I'll let Ira update you on the patch status.
>
> If you want someone to chat about the hardware-level interaction,
> feel free to chat off-list - assuming of course that no one wants
> to hear us talk hardware :)
>
> I selected the MPC8349EA in-part due to its PCI mailboxes, so
> that we could implement this type of driver (an interlocked
> handshake for flow control of data transfers). The previous
> chip I'd used was a PLX PCI9054 Master/Target, and it has
> similar registers.
>
> I'm not sure if the Xilinx PCI core, or whatever PCI core you
> are using, already has something like the mailboxes implemented,
> but if not, it won't take much to code up some logic.
> I prefer VHDL myself, but can speak Verilog if forced to :)

Thanks David. I haven't looked closely at the xilinx pci data sheet
yet, but I don't expect too many issues in this area. As you say, it
won't take much to code it up. I'll be poking my VHDL engineer to
make it do what I want it to. :-)

I'll keep you up to date on my progress.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.