SubjectRe: [BISECTED] EEE PC hangs when booting off battery
Date
On Tuesday 14 April 2009 09:17:28 am Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:59:01 -0600
> Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@hp.com> wrote:
>
> > I can't help with the real problem of why the asynchronous battery
> > init causes the hang.
>
> that got fixed already for the module case.

But apparently still broken for the builtin case? I think Alan is
running pretty new bits -- he said "latest git" on April 11.

> > But I do object to the magic makefile ordering change in that commit.
> > Nobody reading the makefile can tell why battery is down at the end,
> > and moving it apparently slows down boot significantly.
>
> for all cases I've seen it actually speeds it up, because the battery
> now runs concurrently with the disk probe.

I understand; I just meant that if somebody moves it back where it
was, we'll mysteriously lose the speedup you got. Maybe a comment
in the makefile would be a short-term solution.

> > So the
> > ordering change just feels like a band-aid that covers up a place
> > where ACPI could be improved.
>
> the reason for the move is that both the battery and other pieces take
> the big acpi lock; which defeats the parallelism. So the battery needs
> to happen at the end instead.

Yep. But I don't think it's anything about the Linux battery driver
itself that makes it slow. I think it's more likely that some of the
ACPI methods it executes happen to be slow. And that could afflict
*any* driver, depending on the whim of a BIOS writer.

My guess is that if we could run ACPI methods concurrently and avoid
that big lock, the ordering wouldn't matter. I know we probably can't
do that any time soon, but I think it's good to make the problem
visible at least with a "we need this magic order because ACPI doesn't
support concurrent method execution" sort of comment.

Bjorn

  Last update: 2009-04-14 17:51    [W:0.067 / U:0.056 seconds]