    SubjectRe: [BISECTED] EEE PC hangs when booting off battery
    On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:59:01 -0600
    Bjorn Helgaas <> wrote:

    > I can't help with the real problem of why the asynchronous battery
    > init causes the hang.

    that got fixed already for the module case.

    > But I do object to the magic makefile ordering change in that commit.
    > Nobody reading the makefile can tell why battery is down at the end,
    > and moving it apparently slows down boot significantly.

    for all cases I've seen it actually speeds it up, because the battery
    now runs concurrently with the disk probe.

    > So the
    > ordering change just feels like a band-aid that covers up a place
    > where ACPI could be improved.

    the reason for the move is that both the battery and other pieces take
    the big acpi lock; which defeats the parallelism. So the battery needs
    to happen at the end instead.

      Last update: 2009-04-14 17:19    [W:0.029 / U:0.572 seconds]