SubjectRe: [linux-pm] [2.6.30-rc1-git2 regressions] Hibernation broken and (minor but annoying) audio problem
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> Now that I've been able to scan most of my mail; it looks like the one-liner
>> should just go in.
>
> Ok, I committed my one-liner, and then also reverted the ACPI battery
> workaround of removing __init, since the one-liner should fix that too.
>
> Cc'ing the people involved with that commit, just so that they know to
> test to make sure the alternate fix really did fix it for them (I'm pretty
> sure it does, but still a good idea to verify or at least let people know
> that a previous fix got reverted)

longer term I would like to work on two things
1) Fix the __init thing by just only freeing when appropriate, but not having to wait for it
2) Find a way for userland to trigger a sync
- for all storage probing
- for just async work
- "global sync", which includes all driver init
We can then have insmod/modprobe use this always, unless a flag is set
(so say, udev, can load a slew of modules, and then sync only on the last one)

and then after a year or two we can maybe remove the sync from the module loader ;(