    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29
    From
    On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 02:36:22PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Back in 2002ish I did a *lot* of work on IO latency, reads-vs-writes,
    > etc, etc (but not fsync - for practical purposes it's unfixable on
    > ext3-ordered)
    >
    > Performance was pretty good. From some of the descriptions I'm seeing
    > get tossed around lately, I suspect that it has regressed.
    >
    > It would be useful/interesting if people were to rerun some of these
    > tests with `echo anticipatory > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler'.
    >
    > Or with linux-2.5.60 :(

    Well 2.6.18 seems to keep popping up as the last kernel with "sane"
    behaviour, at least in terms of not causing huge delays under many
    workloads. I currently run 2.6.26, although that could be updated as
    soon as I get around to figuring out why lirc isn't working for me when
    I move past 2.6.26.

    I could certainly try changing the scheduler on my mythtv box and seeing
    if that makes any difference to the behaviour. It is pretty darn obvious
    whether it is responsive or not when starting to play back a video.

    --
    Len Sorensen

      Last update: 2009-04-02 01:01    [W:0.021 / U:29.932 seconds]