SubjectRe: [git pull] PCI changes for 2.6.30
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:01:12 -0700 (PDT)
Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> >
> > Please consider pulling my PCI tree from
> > git://
> > linux-next
> This produces
> WARNING: drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x69a1): Section mismatch in
> reference from the function dev_rescan_store() to the
> function .devinit.text:pci_rescan_bus() The function
> dev_rescan_store() references the function __devinit
> pci_rescan_bus(). This is often because dev_rescan_store lacks a
> __devinit annotation or the annotation of pci_rescan_bus is wrong.
> Hmm?

Arg how did I miss that? Maybe the last build I did was missing
hotplug support or something... Anyway looking now (at first glance I
think pci_rescan_bus needs to drop __devinit).

> > Anyway hope this pull is ok. I went through every warning by hand
> > to make sure none were caused by PCI commits, but that was with the
> > bits in this tree, which are -rc8 vintage.
> You can tell it's rebased, but at least it's not rebased five minutes
> ago, so I assume it has some testing. It's the "I just rebased a
> couple of minutes before posting this 'please pull' message" that I
> find really annoying, since it's so clear that the end result has no
> real testing at all.

Yeah, this tree generally sees a good amount of testing, especially
from the hotplug folks. And yeah, I'd never rebase and then do a pull
request; I like to let things sit in linux-next for at least a day to
flush out any build errors and give a chance for people to test any
merge conflicts I resolved.