    SubjectRe: [patch -mm] cpusets: add memory_slab_hardwall flag
    On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Christoph Lameter wrote:

    > Again these are fastpath modifications.

    The nature of the change requires the logic to be placed in the fastpath
    to determine whether a cpu slab's node is allowed by the allocating task's
    cpuset.

    You have previously stated that you would prefer that this feature be
    tunable from userspace. This patch adds the `memory_slab_hardwall' cpuset
    flag which defaults to off.

    > Scanning the partial list for matching nodes is an expensive operation.

    It depends on how long you scan for a matching node, but again: this
    should be assumed by the user if the option has been enabled.

    > Adding RCU into the fast paths is also another big worry.

    This could be mitigated by adding a PF_SLAB_HARDWALL flag similiar to
    PF_SPREAD_PAGE and PF_SPREAD_SLAB. I'd prefer not to add additional
    cpuset-specific task flags, but this would address your concern.

      Last update: 2009-03-09 21:17    [W:2.035 / U:0.072 seconds]