SubjectRe: [tip:x86/doc] x86/doc: mini-howto for using earlyprintk=dbgp
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Daniel Walker wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 15:59 -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>
> > > - a.) Host/target system needs to have USB debug port capability.
> > > + a.) You will need two USB ports. One on the client/console system and one on
> > > + the target system.
> > > +
> > > + b.) The client/console and target USB ports must have the debug port
> > > + capability.
> >
> > Is that correct on the (ugh, I think that the naming/terminology is
> > still mucked up, but you didn't do that) host/target system?
> >
> > On the client/console (which I would call the host and I would call the
> > "Host/target" here just the Target system), a USB debug port is needed,
> > but on the Host/target, it should just look like a USB device.
> > At least that was the intent AFAIK/IIRC. No?
> >

> >From the rest of document I assumed Host/target was referring to both
> sides of the connection. So you would need USB on both sides for this
> thing to work. I assumed Client/console was just the host. I guess that
> is all kind of confusing tho ..

The term "Host" is too confusing to be used here; it has too many other
meanings. "Target" is good.

"Client" is probably okay too, but I don't like "Console" so much
because both machines will have a console. "Debugging console" is more
accurate but also more cumbersome.

> The document indicates you need this one capability on your USB port in
> addition to the USB device (check the complete document for how to find
> the capability). So both host and target need this one capability, and
> then you also need the USB device for the whole thing to work.

In fact the original document was rather clear about this; it says only
that the target machine needs the debug capability. The client machine
uses its normal USB driver and treats the debugging cable as a normal
USB serial device.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2009-03-06 16:55    [W:0.078 / U:0.240 seconds]