SubjectRe: [git-pull -tip V2] x86: msr architecture debug code
Hello Andreas,

Thanks for your review.

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 13:21 +0100, Andreas Herrmann wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 02:19:56AM +0530, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why do we need this in-kernel?
> We have already access to MSRs via /dev/cpu/*/msr
>
> Did you have a look at x86info. (see
> http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/x86info/)
> Recent versions contain a tool called lsmsr -- which shows you MSRs
> and also decodes some bits, e.g.

Its looks good but I have planning to add much more features in
msr_debug and also Ingo suggested to add more features (please check his
email in this thread)

I am planning to use msr_debug for my development and also want to do
System development by using it.

This is just a beginning. I am just making basic setup I will add
features from this point ;-)

> The tool just lacks some detailed MSR definitions for non-AMD CPUs.
> Feel free to add them ... (and to fix bugs if encountered ;-)

Sure I will also check it.
Can you please forward some links or Manuals of AMD to this email
address so that I can also do some magic with AMD or another Intel based
CPUs.

> Of course I've applied your patch to do a sniff test and found the
> following:
>
> - I've just one directory in debugfs
> x86/cpu/msr/cpu0
> The system has a quad-core CPU. So I guess there should be 4
> directories -- one for each core.

In this Version I just made for cpu0, in V1 I was doing it for each
cpu_core_id, I mean for each package.

I think, there is no point of showing MSR/cores It will show the same
information. Please correct me If I am wrong.

But if you guys want I can make for each core.

> - The file showing MTRRs is misspelled (mttr instead of mtrr).

Ok, I will fix it in next version.

Thanks,
--
JSR

  Last update: 2009-03-05 14:17    [W:2.085 / U:0.000 seconds]