    SubjectRe: lockdep warning with 2.6.29-rc6-mm1 (mmotm 24-feb-2009)

    * Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

    > On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 18:27 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
    > > I see the following on my machine. My understanding is that the
    > > lockdep warning is complaining about a potential deadlock while
    > > reclaiming, where we could end up waiting on holding inotify_mutex,
    > > and we could end up calling reclaim with inotify_mutex held.
    > >
    > > The race seems rare, since one path shows a new inode being created
    > > and the other one being deleted. It seems like a false positive unless
    > > the inode's in question turn out to be potentially the same.
    >
    > Its not a false positive until you can guarantee the inodes will _never_
    > be the same.
    >
    > This thing has been reported numerous times, Ingo even posted
    > a potential fix for it, Nick poked the inotify people to speak
    > up, but they have so far been silent on the issue :-(

    that particular fix is upstream, via:

    3023a3e: inotify: fix GFP_KERNEL related deadlock

    so does this reproduce with latest .29-rc7-ish kernels too - or
    do we have some other problem in this area too?

    Ingo

      Last update: 2009-03-04 18:45    [W:0.026 / U:147.836 seconds]