    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29

    On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Alan Cox wrote:

    > How about the far more regular crash case ? We may be pretty reliable but
    > we are hardly indestructible especially on random boxes with funky BIOSes
    > or low grade hardware builds.

    The regular crash case doesn't need to care about the disk write-cache AT
    ALL. The disk will finish the writes on its own long after the kernel
    crashed.

    That was my _point_. The write cache on the disk is generally a whole lot
    safer than the OS data cache. If there's a catastrophic software failure
    (outside of the disk firmware itself ;), then the OS data cache is gone.
    But the disk write cache will be written back.

    Of course, if you have an automatic and immediate "power-off-on-oops",
    you're screwed, but if so, you have bigger problems anyway. You need to
    wait at _least_ a second or two before you power off.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-04-01 00:07    [W:0.021 / U:2.444 seconds]