    SubjectRe: Network Device Naming mechanism and policy
    My idea as a user, having configured some servers:

    On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 05:46:17PM +0200, Matt Domsch wrote:

    > Problem: Users expect on-motherboard NICs to be named eth0..ethN. This can be difficult to achieve.

    with kernel point of view, there should be no preference. If users
    expect some numbering, I believe udev provides all the tools.

    > Ethernet device names are initially assigned by the kernel, and may be
    > changed by udev or nameif in userspace. The initial name assigned by
    > the kernel is in monotonically increasing order, starting with eth0.
    > In this instance, the enumeration directly leads to an assigned name.
    the problem here is the monotonic increasing order. I never rename ethX
    back to the monotonic ethX numbering. IMHO, renaming eth0 to eth1 sounds
    redundant.
    I rename ethx to lan, wan, wlan, remote, lan0, lan1, ...
    This naming _cannot_ conflict.

    > To ease this complication, SMBIOS 2.6 includes a mechanism for
    > BIOS to specify its expected ordering of devices, for naming
    > purposes. Tools such as biosdevname use this information.
    I'd preferrably not rely on bios tools, not every system has a (stable) bios.

      Last update: 2009-03-31 16:27    [W:0.021 / U:31.648 seconds]