    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29
    On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:55:51AM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
    > Sorry, I'm afraid that rsync falls into the same category as the
    > kde/gnome apps here.
    >
    > There are a lot of backup programs built around rsync, and every one of
    > them risks losing the old copy of the file by renaming an unflushed new
    > copy over it.
    >
    > rsync needs the flushing about a million times more than gnome and kde,
    > and it doesn't have any option to do it automatically. It does have the
    > option to create backups, which is how a percentage of people are using
    > it, but I wouldn't call its current setup safe outside of ext3.

    I wouldn't make it to be the default, but as an option, if the backup
    script would take responsibility for restarting rsync if the server
    crashes, and if the rsync process executes a global sync(2) call when
    it is complete, an option to make rsync delete the target file before
    doing the rename to defeat the replace-via-rename hueristic could be
    justifiable.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2009-03-30 19:47    [W:4.350 / U:0.008 seconds]